Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Keith Olbermann’ Category

BBC, 22 July 2011

Evidence on phone hacking given to MPs by News International chairman James Murdoch has been called into question by two former executives at the firm.

He told the media committee on Tuesday he had not been “aware” of an email suggesting the practice went wider than a “rogue” News of the World reporter.

But ex-NoW editor Colin Myler and ex-NI legal manager Tom Crone have now said they “did inform” him of the email.

Mr Murdoch later said he “stands by his testimony”.

More here…

Read Full Post »

BBC, 22 July, 2011

The FBI plans to contact the actor Jude Law following claims that his mobile phone was hacked during a visit to the US, officials have told the BBC.

It is alleged that a 2003 story by the News of the World newspaper was based on information from Law’s voicemail.

If the accusation were true, Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation could face charges in the US.

The FBI is already investigating claims the Sunday tabloid tried to hack the phones of victims of the 9/11 attacks.

It was alleged in a lawsuit filed by Law last week that his phone and that of his personal assistant, Ben Jackson, had been hacked by the News of the World while the pair were at New York’s John F Kennedy Airport.

More here…

Read Full Post »

How Al Gore Offered Keith Olbermann a Job

The Hollywood Reporter  12:25 PM 2/9/2011 by Marisa Guthrie

The former vice president reached out to Olbermann less than 24 hours after he stepped down from MSNBC.

Less than 24 hours after Keith Olbermann anchored his last edition of Countdown on Jan. 21, Al Gore placed a call to his friend inviting him to join Current TV.

“We’ve been friends for a while,” Gore told The Hollywood Reporter during a press breakfast in New York on Wednesday.

A contract was quickly hammered out. But it was Gore who convinced Olbermann to join the network, say sources. The former vice president and co-founder of Current was a fan of Countdown where he had also been a guest in the past. RELATED: Tim Goodman’s analysis of the move.

Olbermann’s Current show will likely premiere in late May, when the non-compete clause in his exit agreement with NBC Universal will have reached its conclusion.
Sources tell THR that that agreement also stipulates that Olbermann cannot work for any network considered a competitor.

“He had no choice but to go to a place like Current because his non-compete excluded just about every other place,” said an MSNBC insider.

Current averaged 18,000 homes in primetime for fourth quarter 2010, lower than any other network measured by Nielsen.

MORE HERE

Read Full Post »

Olbermann heading to Al Gore’s Current TV channel: report

Raw Story- By Sahil Kapur
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 — 9:26 am

WASHINGTON – Liberal former MSNBC star Keith Olbermann is reportedly taking his talents to Current TV, the channel led by former Vice President Al Gore and businessman Joel Hyatt.

The New York Times scooped in a story published Monday night that people “familiar with his plans pointed to a possible deal with the public affairs channel Current TV.”

Olbermann’s spokespersons and Current TV executives declined to comment to the Times but didn’t deny that a deal was pending. One source told the paper that Olbermann would have equity stake in Current TV.

Olbermann’s public relations firm said in a press release he would make the announcement regarding his next move on Tuesday in a private news conference.

MORE HERE

Read Full Post »

What Role Did Comcast Play in Keith Olbermann’s Suspension?–UPDATED

Crooks and Liars- By karoli
November 05, 2010 12:14 PM

There is a double standard at work with regard to Keith Olbermann’s suspension, not only between other personalities appearing on MSNBC as commentators, but also at the very top level of the food chain.

Comcast now owns is about MSNBC after their acquisition was completed earlier this year is approved (and it will be, I’m sure), despite protestations from many of us. A look at campaign finance disclosures for several organizations shows that Phil Anschutz, chairman of Comcast major shareholder and content partner with Comcast, donated large sums of money to the First Amendment Alliance, one of the largest outside groups targeting Democrats in the 2010 midterm elections.

The Anschutz Corporation, wholly owned by Phil Anschutz, gave $50,000 on 9/24/2010 to the First Amendment Alliance. The two candidates targeted by the First Amendment Alliance? Jack Conway and Michael Bennet.

Keith Olbermann gave to Jack Conway’s campaign along with Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords.

In addition, the Anschutz family donated $169,900 to Republican candidates and committees during the 2010 election cycle, according to Open Secrets.

Additionally, Comcast Corporation has contributed $125,000 to the Republican Governors’ Association in the 2010 cycle (as of 9/30/2010).

There’s been a lot of chatter about MSNBC policy, and whether Olbermann should have gotten advance approval for his donations to Jack Conway, Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords on October 28th. The policy I’ve seen reads like this:

NBC and MSNBC TV require permission of the president of NBC News. (MSNBC.com is a joint venture of NBC Universal and Microsoft.)

“Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest. Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the President of NBC News or his designee.

That language clearly says “should” and not “must”. Further, anyone who thinks Keith Olbermann is an impartial journalist should have their head examined. He’s not, never has been, never will be, and is not presented as one.

But it leaves this question lingering for me: How is it that the parent corporation of NBC and chairman of that corporation, Pat Buchanan and Joe Scarborough are accorded First Amendment rights to political speech and Keith Olbermann is not?

MORE HERE

Read Full Post »

Olbermann Worries About Glenn Beck’s Sanity: ‘Is He OK?’

Huffington Post |  Jack Mirkinson Posted: 08-26-10 12:02 PM

Keith Olbermann claimed he was worried about Glenn Beck’s sanity after Beck said that he wanted to let “the spirit” speak through him at his “Restoring Honor” rally at the Lincoln Memorial this Saturday.

On Wednesday’s “Countdown,” Olbermann mocked Beck’s assertion that the rally will be an apolitical call to restore American values and to honor the armed forces, noting that Sarah Palin and conservative blogger Erick Erickson will both be speaking. He then played a clip of Beck on his radio show, talking about the speech he was planning for the rally:

BECK: I’m only writing a few bullet points. And I am doing that so I don’t get in the way of the spirit, in case he wants to talk…if you would just pray that I would be able to hear because sometimes–sometimes he’s screaming at me and I still can’t hear it.

“All right, he thinks someone–we assume–he said the spirit. We’re assuming it’s the almighty screaming at him,” Olbermann said to Think Progress editor Faiz Shakir. “Is he OK?”

“No, of course not,” Shakir responded. “The guy is insane.”

WATCH:
Vodpod videos no longer available.

Read Full Post »

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »

%d bloggers like this: